NYE COUNTY, NEVADA
LETTERS OF INTEREST INCLUDING QUALIFICATIONS FOR PUBLIC DEFENSE SERVICES
SUMMARY OF REQUEST
Nye County (“County”) is requesting Letters of Interest (LOI) including qualifications from attorneys interested in contracting for public defender services for indigent defendants appearing to answer criminal charges in the 5th Judicial District Court and the Beatty, Pahrump and Tonopah Justice Courts, Nye County, Nevada. It is the intent of Nye County to secure the services of five-independent attorneys, four attorneys will be primary counsel for courts located in Pahrump and one attorney will be primary counsel for courts located in Tonopah and Beatty. Each contract shall be for an amount not to exceed one-hundred-fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) annually payable in equal quarterly installments for the provision of all indigent defense services as outlined herein.
The term of the contract(s) will be twelve months, beginning July 1, 2020, and concluding June 30, 2021.
Successful applicants will contract with the County for provision of public defense services as an independent contractor and shall not be entitled to any County benefits of any nature whatsoever. The successful applicant will be responsible for the performance of all of the obligations under contract in conformance with the Nevada State Bar Association Rules of Professional Conduct and the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
TIME SCHEDULE. The County will follow the following timetable, which should result in a selection of public defenders by May 5, 2020.
- Issue request for LOI March 17, 2020
- Publish in PVT newspaper March 20, 27, 2020; April 3, 10, 17, 2020
- Publish in TTB newspaper March 26, 2020; April 2, 9, 16, 2020
- Deadline for Submittal of LOI 5:00 p.m., April 20, 2020
- Contract Award May 5, 2020
SCOPE OF SERVICES - GENERAL DESCRIPTION
- The Attorney will represent adult criminal defendants that a court in Nye County has determined to be indigent, except for capital cases. The representation will include all stages of the criminal proceedings, including direct appeals, revocation of probation or parole, and specialty courts. The Attorney will be primary counsel for courts located in Pahrump. Attorney further agrees to handle conflict cases that may arise in Tonopah and Beatty if no other consortium counsel is available for appointment.
- The Attorney will provide legal representation for a child alleged to be delinquent or in need of supervision when a Court orders the appointment in accord with NRS Chapter 62.
- The Attorney agrees to perform the services of an attorney for a child, parent, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare when that parent or other person is alleged to have abused or neglected that child and the Court orders the appointment of Attorney pursuant to NRS 432B.420, or any subsequent proceedings under NRS Chapter 128.
- The Attorney agrees to attend Justice Court 72-hour in-custody hearings on a rotating basis with other consortium counsel as scheduled.
- The Attorney shall continue to perform services for any appointed client for which said Attorney is the counsel of record on the effective date of the agreement.
- The Attorney agrees to provide legal services to Juvenile Court of Nye County.
All LOI with qualifications should be sent to:
Asst. County Manager
P.O. Box 153
101 Radar Road
Tonopah, NV 89049
All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. PDT on April 20, 2020. The materials will be presented to the Nye County Board of Commissioners on May 5, 2020.