Frequently Asked Questions

What are the office hours of the District Court Clerk's office? The District Court Clerk's office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and closed from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch.

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree or other copies? Photocopies are .50 cents per page. Copies of documents may be obtained upon payment of the appropriate fees either in person during regular office hours, or by writing or calling the District Court Clerk's office to obtain the purchase amount. Please include the case number and the names of the parties to the case when making inquiries.

Certified copies are $5.00 each if the Clerk's Office is presented with the copy of the document to be certified. If the Clerk's Office must make a copy from the Court's original, the fee is .50 cents per page for photocopying plus an additional $3.00 per document for certification.

Exemplified copies are $6.00 each if the Clerk's Office is presented with a copy of the document to be exemplified. If the Clerk's Office must make a copy from the Court's original, the fee is .50 cents per page for photocopying plus an additional $6.00 per document for exemplification.

How do I request a record search? A record search can be done in person or in writing. The fee for a record search is .50 cents per year, per name, and must be paid at the time the request for record search is made. If your request is made in writing, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope which will be used to report our findings to you.

Can I review a sealed file? The Clerk cannot permit the examination of any sealed file except by order of the Court.

Do you have the forms to file a divorce? The District Court Clerk does not have the papers or forms necessary for the filing of a divorce or any other law suit or pleading. Please contact your attorney for assistance.

Can you tell me how to file my own divorce? We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. We cannot give you instructions on filing your divorce or answer any questions on the accuracy of your papers or how to present your case to the judge. If you intend to represent yourself, without the assistance of an attorney, you must have the knowledge to prepare and file the proper pleadings and present your case to the court. We advise you to consult an attorney if you have any questions or are unsure as to what you need to do.

How do I file an Answer when I have been served with a summons? The District Court Clerk does not have a form for filing an Answer and cannot assist you on how to file an Answer. We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. Consult an attorney for any assistance. There is a fee associated with the filing of an Answer.

How do I get a case set for court hearing? To set your case for a hearing on the uncontested Law & Motion calendar, call the District Court Clerk’s Office at (775) 482-8131 in Tonopah and (775)751-7040 in Pahrump. To set a contested case for hearing or trial, file the appropriate pleading requesting a hearing/trial or contact the Judicial Assistant in the Department to which your case has been assigned:

Department 1:

The Honorable Kimberly Wanker, District Judge
101 Radar Rd
P.O. Box 393
Tonopah, NV 89049
Ph: (775) 482-8141
Fax: (775) 482-7345

Department 2:

The Honorable Robert W. Lane, District Judge
1520 E. Basin Ave. #105
Pahrump, NV 89060
Ph: (775) 751-4213
Fax: (775) 751-4218

Both District Court Judges hear cases in Tonopah and Pahrump.

Can I file my pleadings by fax? Only original documents are accepted for filing. Faxed documents are not accepted for filing, except by specific Court order.

If I have deposited funds with the Court, what is the procedure for their release? The Clerk must have an Order from the Court before funds are disbursed. Cash bail is automatically exonerated after sentencing, unless otherwise ordered by the Court.

If I deposit funds with the Court, will I receive interest on my money? Money will be deposited in the Court Clerk's Trust Fund (interest collected by the County), unless the Clerk receives a written Court order directing the Clerk to deposit the funds into an interest-bearing account.

Returned Check - NSF: There is a charge of $30.00 for all checks returned Non Sufficient Funds.

How can I collect a judgment that has been entered in my favor? It is up to the individual who has been awarded a judgment to take the steps necessary to enforce the judgment. Several procedures such as liens on real property, execution and garnishment are available for collecting judgments. Because these procedures are sometimes complicated, we recommend that a person consult with an attorney if possible.

I just received a summons for jury duty and I want to be excused. What do I do? Click on the link below to complete your juror qualification questionnaire

Exemptions From Service NRS 6.020

  • Any employee of the legislature or the legislative counsel bureau while the legislature is in session.
  • Any police officer pursuant to statute.
  • Any person 70 years or older.
  • Any person 65 years or over and lives 65 miles away from the location of the court, if such person requests to be exempt.

You may also ask to be "permanently excused" from service as a juror if you are "incapable," by reason of a permanent physical or mental disability, of rendering satisfactory service as a juror. You will also be permanently excused from service as a juror if you are not a citizen of the United States, or if you have been convicted of a felony.

NRS 6.030 does provide that the Court may temporarily excuse a juror from a particular trial on account of sickness or physical disability, serious illness or death of a member of his/her immediate family, undue hardship or extreme inconvenience, or public necessity.

If you have been summoned to appear as a juror and you believe you are exempted from jury service or that you are entitled to be "excused" for one of the reasons set forth above, please contact the assistant in the Judge’s office directly: Department One: (775) 482-8141 or Department Two: (775) 751-4213.

Are jurors paid?

  • Each person summoned is entitled to a fee of $40 for each day after the second day of jury selection;
  • Each juror actually sworn and serving is entitled to a fee of $40 a day for each day of service;
  • Each person summoned or each jury actually sworn and serving is entitled to 36.5 cents a miles for each mile traveled if the home of the person summoned or serving as a juror is 30 miles or more from the place of trial.

Return to the Clerk of the District Court main page for further information.